*To save time you can use store bought pie pastry and skip to step 4
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, very cold, cut in small slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 6-7 apples peeled, cored and sliced thin
- Place oven rack on lower ⅓ of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Then add cold butter slices and process to consistency of cornmeal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla. Add egg to flour and process until it forms a ball. Remove dough from processor and press together with heels of your hand until smooth. Wrap in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Arrange 8 ungreased Ruffled Baking Cups on a baking sheet. Pinch off 1 tablespoon size piece of dough, roll into a ball and gently press into Ruffled Baking Cups. Repeat to fill all.
- Melt filling butter into a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Peel , core and thinly slice apples. Arrange apple slices in the tartlet starting from the outside and working your way in.
- Pour the melted filling over the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- With oven at 350°F, bake tartlets for approximately 35-45 minutes.